Change text size:   <p>Increase font size</p>   <p>Reduce font size</p>  |   Print page:   <p>Print this page</p>
  |   Contact us   Contact us Icon   

Don't get conned 

When looking for a job, your boss may ask you to work for a trial period, also known as a probation period. This can only be for a maximum of three months.

This is not unusual and gives both you and your employer the chance to see if you can do the job. But, you must be paid for any work that you do during this trial/probation period.

It is OK to do work experience for no pay. This is usually done through a registered educational training organisation - like a school, TAFE or university.

It is also possible to work as a volunteer, say for a charity, and not be paid for any work that you may do.

But unless you are on a work experience program or you are a volunteer, there is no such thing as 'unpaid trial work' and you must be paid for any work you do.

Employers who do not pay workers for all work they carry out are breaking industrial laws.

If your employer is doing this, call the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 for advice and help.