Change text size:   <p>Increase font size</p>   <p>Reduce font size</p>  |   Print page:   <p>Print this page</p>
  |   Contact us   Contact us Icon   

Recovering unpaid wages 

Didn't get paid the right amount? You should take the following steps.

If you are not sure how much you are owed or need help preparing your claim, you can contact the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94.

Step 1 - Prepare your claim

Gather together the evidence you need to make your claim - such as your pay slips, your letter of offer and any diary records.

Calculate exactly how much you believe you are owed. You must also:

  • Identify the full name of the person, company or organisation that employed you.
  • Identify the current registered or official address of your employer.
  • Work out the starting date of your employment.
  • Identify the award or enterprise agreement that applies to the work that you perform.
  • Identify the correct pay classification in the award or enterprise agreement applying to the work you perform.  The Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 can help you with this.
  • Complete a statement outlining the amount of money owed to you.

Step 2 - Letter of demand

As the next stage of the process, send your employer a letter/email outlining what you believe is owed to you. This is called a 'Letter of demand'.  Make sure you date both documents and sign the letter.  Keep a copy for your records.

Step 3 - Contact the Fair Work Infoline

If your employer does not respond or agree to settle the matter, you can contact the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 to find out what to do next.